Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nonok

Hahaha, when I came across 'nonok' at Suituapui blog commented by kpenyu, I linked this word to Melanau dialect. What does it mean?
I remembered when I first came to Mukah, this most probably was my first Melanau word I learnt. My late hubby was a 'Cilanau' which means 'Cina Melanau'.
I stayed with my Melanau mother-in-law who spoke Hokkien most of the time. She seldom conversed in Melanau though she was a
typical Melanau. I was told that My father-in-law, a China-orientated man had great authoritative manner of speaking Hokkien at home.
One of my naughty niece said, "Aunty, aunty, if you want to learn Melanau, I'll teach you."
"Well, then teach me simple and easy word." I responded with gratitude.
"Nonok" she said and asked me to repeat after her.
"Nonok" I repeated.
Wah, she gave me a big, big grin and praised me for my strong Melanau accent. I was on a high exhilarating elation for days.
I was a stupid idiot and I kept on repeating the word and other newly learnt words like: telo, melo, ako, bei, tabei, bla bla bla....all sounded like telur, telur, telur.....
After couples of day learning Melanau, I was excited and I wanted to show my genius for vernacular learning.
Then, I told my late husband what I have learnt.
"ako-I, melo-we, telo-you, bla bla bla, only one word and the first word I learnt 'nonok', I don't know what does it mean."
"Hahaha! I will teach you some more,
"tugei, dinei, ........" my late hubby cried out.
There, there, there, you see, I learnt those "interesting and funny" words first from my late hubby before I proceeded to formal Melanau.
I was too embarrassed by my ignorant of 'nonok' at that time.
Ladies and gentlemen, do you know what does it mean now? ROTFL!!





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha!!!! When my daughter was in Primary 3, the teacher told them a story about this student who was very protected and ignorant. One day, her classmate scolded her in Chinese, "C*** B**!!!" So she went home and asked her mum what that meant. Her mother said,"Nothing lah! It is another term from grandma." Later that day, the grandma came to the house so the daughter cried out, "Mak! Mak! C*** B** datang!!" ROTFLMAO!! (I was shocked that the teacher told them the story but was very amused by the story itself!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!) Happy Mooncake Festival to you!

Anita said...

wah, you mean the teacher was amused and said C***B** right infront of the class? Can't imagine how the primary 3 kids responsed. Were they all amused by the story?
Happy Mooncake Festival to you too!

Anonymous said...

Yes, he told the little girls the joke...and my girl came home and told me! I said, "Cilaka! Itu cikgu!!!" But I thought the joke was funny! Hahahahaha!!!!

Anita said...

I 100% agree that the joke is funny to us adults as amusement. To the little boys and girls in Primary 3, they copied and practised. Needless to say the word C****B*** is so eloquent that almost every one pick up easily in one shot lah, right? Hahahahaa!

Anonymous said...

Hi,some photographer friends would like to visit Mukah. Interested in Melanau culture and their daily activities such as fishing and harvesting sago etc. Can you arrange?

Anita said...

yes, welcome to Mukah. can you let me know the time and duration of stay in Mukah?

Anonymous said...

Ok, thanks. I will contact you in advance when things are confirmed