Thursday, July 24, 2008

2 Chinese superstitions

I was just back from a funeral mass. The funeral mass for Melanau here was celebrated at 1.00pm in the afternoon.
I think we Chinese traditionally don't allow burial to be done in the afternoon. The earlier the better.
I have heard from the oldies that it is not advisable to bury the corpse in the afternoon especially when the sun is shinning brightly. Our shadows may fall on the coffin and our souls will be taken away by the deceased one. Then you'll face great trouble in near future, having obstacles in life, job or health.
The second superstitious thing : the deceased one who passed away in the hospital should not be brought back to his/her own house. The deceased must sent right from hospital to the burial site which his/her family's member had chosen with good "feng shui".
When my late hubby went to our Lord six years back in Kuching General Hospital, we traveled all the way from Kuching back to Mukah. I decided and insisted to bring the coffin back home. Everybody said "tik ki" and gossiped at my back.
Wake prayer was recited for 7 consecutive nights followed by a requiem mass with blessing of house.
"The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want"
I clung to God. The only prayer was " Lord, I have no say for taking away my hubby because life is given by You, but bless my sons and daughters."
In God's hand nothing is impossible.
I experience abundant blessings from God.
Thanks God and Praise the Lord

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God shower His blessings upon you and your family and upon mine too!...Christians should not believe in superstitions though I may follow for the sake of keeping the tradition and culture alive e.g. giving angpows during Chinese New Year...or eating mee sua on birthdays.

Anita said...

I like giving out angpows, meaning that i have more than enough and wana share with others. Eating mee sua can satisfy my taste buds. Is it great to keep these cultures of us? Hihi...